Sunday, October 16, 2005

I'M HERE

Inger's Maisie reminded me of this.

It's one of those glorious evenings in Greenwich Village 1975 long before crack arrived. Tracy and I are strolling the streets chatting before we land at Vivaldi for coffee. I suggest we go uptown tomorrow for the Colombus Day Parade.
She sez, Darling I love you, I would do anything for you, and you know how much I adore anything Italian, but there is no way I'm going to celebrate the annihilation of an entire race, which is what happened after Colombus arrived.
And let me add, I feel the same way about Thanksgiving, but if you invite me I'll come and bring my favorite canned jellied cranberries.
The only way you'll ever get ME to a Colombus Day Parade is if Sofia Loren is the Grand Marshall.

Fast forward to September 1984 and picture Tracy standing atop a cement planter in front of Cartier, screaming at the top of her lungs, BRAVA SOFIA, BRAVA SOFIA, CHE BELLA, CHE BELLA!
Sofia WAS the grand marshall of the Colombus Day Parade walking between Mario and Geraldine.

I expected the Secret Service to surround us. But no.

Sophia stopped, looked right up at Tracy and said, Grazie Signora.

What a happy memory, Thanks Maisie!

WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE QUEER FOR A DAY

Queen For A Day is the first reality show I remember. Four women would tell their stories. Then the audience would vote for the one who really didn't want anything for herself. Somewhere in my memories Bess Meyerson would give the winner a mink coat, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure about that part.
Anyway.
I'm watching Three Wishes thinking I'll get a good lump in my throat and feel good about others doing good. Like I do when I watch Extreme Makeover Home Edition.
So...
They (3 Wishes) are out west somewhere, Utah???, and the mayor of the town "wishes" for them to find a family that was wiped out by Katrina.
The really handsome blond guy gets on a private jet to find a family. The whole time he is on the verge of tears talking about what a great thing is about to happen. It is a great thing, really really great.
He finds the family. They ARE wonderful and greatly in need.

Before he can get the words out to tell them the good news, they are out of the shelter and off on a private jet to a new home in what they (3 wishes) have shown the viewer to be an "all white neighborhood", he is so emotional he is boohooing and so am I.

All white neighborhood?

Wait.

Did anyone think to ask, would you like to move out west to an all white neighborhood?
I don't think anyone asked.
I think this is about....oh hell, I don't know what it's about, but it made me feel creepy cause those poor folks were used to get ratings. It wasn't really really about their needs. It was about a network selling adverts.
Will I watch reality tv again?
Sure.
Will I get all lumpy in the throat with tears in my eyes?
Sure.
Will I post about something like this again.
Maybe.

RQM

12 Comments:

Blogger I n g e r said...

Ach, Red, how beautiful. You're one of us; there's a chair at the table for you.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Trudy Booty Scooty said...

First of all, Happy Belated Bday, RQM! :)

Secondly, what a great post. I didn't see "Wishes" but I KNOW that is what would have struck a sour cord with me too.

I love emotional shows....but I do feel disturbed by the blatant "for the ratings" moments that they sometimes spew. Even extreme home makeover has done that a couple of times. I still love the show....but hate it when they ruin my soppy warm fuzzies with over-the-top "squeeze more for the ratings" junk.

8:47 PM  
Blogger nancy =) said...

happy belated birthday to you, rqm...hope you had an awesome day...

and thank you very muchly for the new post!! and a great one at that...i especially loved the sophia story...i love it when you tell us about tracy...

i've yet to see the show 3 wishes...but i remember watching tv during katrina coverage and there were some people saying they were getting on a plane but they did not know where they were going...it ended up being utah...no one asked them if they wanted to go there or even told them that's where they were going...it was just absurd to me...personally utah would be my last choice for a destination...but that's just my opinion...

anyhoo glad you're back rqm...

ciao...

9:22 PM  
Blogger Connie in FL said...

Yes, yes, yes!!!

I love Tracy stories!!!

And, Nancy, Utah's not so bad... I have a daughter who lives in Salt Lake City and it is an absolutely beautiful place to visit. The mountains are breathtaking and the area is rich in history. BUT, the key word here is visit... for living there you must own a coat. Greetings from Florida does not own a coat but the kid's love it.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Blogzie said...

Happy Birthday!

One more year until Medicare!

You are my hero and I love you a whole bunch.

I so thrilled you posted that I'm like totally lactating.

You celebrate your birthday like I do. Under the covers praying that no one remembers.

Come and join the party at my blog and try not to hate me.

1:13 AM  
Blogger sttropezbutler said...

TOD on a planter. I can see it. I can hear her.

Just make mine well done.

You're a fab fellow RQM. Glad you are on my team..or at least you were till I semi-outed you on your birthday! LOL

XXOOXX

STB

Go Astros!

7:14 AM  
Blogger author said...

it was south dakota !
they moved them there and never asked,
you are right.
The family had never been in snow country. Now they have a home there.
Lovely thing to do, and the town seemed to welcome them, on camera. But it is a all white town, because I scanned the crowd to make sure I wasn't seeing things and sure enough the only faces of color were this family and one asian kid in the little boys class.
Are they still welcome after the cameras left?
I'd like an update.

still I too will watch.

9:24 AM  
Blogger dondon009 said...

Welcome back to blogland..... you were missed. This was a great fun post!

I love the stories... and making Blogzie lactate? SWEET JESUS!

Happy Belated Birthday!

Don~

7:25 PM  
Blogger nancy =) said...

thank you connie jane for changing my perception about utah...i was being very narrow minded and judgemental, thinking that the moment one steps off a plane in utah that they will be hounded by mormons...how terrible of me to think like that...i'm glad you helped change my perception...it is a beautiful state, indeed...

7:40 PM  
Blogger Connie in FL said...

nancy.... they could still be nagged by mormons! LOL I didn't think you judgemental. I certainly don't want to live in Utah! Notice I said it's a nice place to VISIT!!!!!

10:22 AM  
Blogger CrackerLilo said...

South Dakota in a neighborhood where they're the only "raisins among the rice" (as a black friend in my whitey-white high school said) is an improvement on homelessness, but I hope it's a big one for them. I hope they'll be okay.

I saw that Tony Stewart was going to be on it--can you give me a reminder, please? That's the only reason I'd watch it (well, that or Sinead, my other intense-eyed celebrity crush.)

4:06 PM  
Blogger I n g e r said...

Checking in on you, Red! I know it's a big weekend in Houston; I'll look for you next week.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home