Saturday, January 28, 2006

A FEW WORDS ABOUT GEORGE

I met George the first week I moved to NYC in a little bar uptown called, The East74.
I love to dance and had heard this little bar had a dance floor.
Turned out, George loved to dance too.
He was standing on one side of the bar dancing alone. I was on the other side dancing alone.
When our eyes met he pointed to the dance floor and motioned for me to join him.
We danced, smoked a joint, danced some more and closed the bar.

We learned we lived three blocks apart. Him 46th and 8th. Me 48th and 9th. We started walking and talking and singing. We sang the entire score of My Fair Lady cracking each other up the whole time.

That began a friendship that I will treasure forever.

He loved anything to do with show biz. ANYTHING.

Barbra was #1

We went to broadway shows night after night. We would stand outside looking poor and sad and folks would give us extra tickets. We would "second act" (that's asking folks for their tickets if they were leaving after the first act) up and down the theatre district most nights. We saw Company 13 times the first month it opened thanks to George working every angle he could.

Barbra was doing a benifit for Bella Abzug at the Felt Forum. He got us tickets. Really really good seats in the second row. I don't know how he did it, but he could get tickets to anything.

One summer we didn't know anyone who had a house on Fire Island in the Pines and we wanted to go.
So....we went anyway, got off the ferry and stashed our bags under the boardwalk out of sight, danced until dawn. If we didn't hook up, and sometimes we didn't, we would get our bags, put on our trunks and sleep on the beach.
We'd spend the morning sunning, the afternood dancing at tea and then we'd say to someone...we're staying down in the Grove and don't want to go all the way back before we catch the ferry, can we use your outdoor shower. It worked everytime.

We saw Bonnie and Delany in Central Park. George stood on his chair and danced for three hours. Can you say mushrooms???????

He wanted to be in the music business, so he moved to California.

He met STB.

I met STB.

He did get in the music business. One June he was in NYC on business. It was Gay Day. We got behind the "disco" truck and danced non stop from Sheridan Square to Central Park with George yelling the whole way, "JUMP FOR JAY"!

He/they came to NYC.

I went to California.

AIDS took him.

I still cry.

I still miss him.

rQm Posted by Picasa

16 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

incredible george indeed.
he sounds like a beauty, in all ways. and you wove a most colorful tale. beautiful. ("can you say...mushrooms?!!!-lol-!!!)

12:53 AM  
Blogger alan said...

Funny how you know we are less for the loss of people you never knew; your friend is one of them!

Thank you for sharing his story, for remembering him, and for sharing him with us!

Thank you for being you!

alan

4:41 AM  
Blogger sjobs said...

George sounded like a lovely man. I am so sorry for his lose to such a horrible disease.

Thanks for sharing your tale.

Mary

8:27 AM  
Blogger I n g e r said...

Thank you so much for this, RQM. I've wondered about George--can tell how extraordinary he was, and is, to the ones who love him.

Hugs and love to you.

Inger

10:06 AM  
Blogger dondon009 said...

Another one lost to that dreaded disease........

It's so nice to finally meet George; and you've told this so beautifully.

What a wonderful legacy he left both you and STB... the gift of friendship which has lasted all these years!

DON~

10:45 AM  
Blogger www.kimmy.cc said...

very good, every picture tells a story doesn't it?

11:19 AM  
Blogger sttropezbutler said...

Singular is spelled rQm.

STB

12:23 PM  
Blogger cathie said...

How wonderful to have someone like George in your life!

AIDS has taken too many.

I am sorry for your loss.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Connie in FL said...

You've suffered great losses in your life but you have gained so much from your dear friendships. You just may be the richest guy in Florida!

Love you.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Blogzie said...

How nice it is when someone actually lives up to their legend.

The Divine George really was Divine.

Beautiful. Friendship. Love Story. All of it. All of you.

Thanks so much.

x0x0x

11:33 PM  
Blogger nancy =) said...

my dear rqm...i read this earlier today, and it made me so sad that i could not speak...

i'm back to tell you that i love the way that you and stb are honoring the memory of the devine george...may he live on in your hearts forever and ever...

much love to you, you dear dear man...

peace...

11:55 PM  
Blogger RED QUILT MAKER said...

I've just gotten home from work and read all these great comments.

Two Sunday Photos from me that were sad. Sometimes sad is a part of it.

Sometimes, it just gotta bees that way.

And for laughs....

I don't think anyone is ever gonna top STB today. I mean the photos and then the gear shift too.

I'm laughin out loud thinkin about it.

rQm loves ya!

12:36 AM  
Blogger Sublime said...

AHHH RQM! Love the post and the picture. You've led and are leading such a rich life. Full of wonderful friendships, courtships, and adventures that I could only wish for.

Glad I got to read this. Thanks for sharing. I needed the glimmer today.

Take care,
Sublime

10:24 AM  
Blogger Phi said...

Sono sopraffatta dall'emozione, mi spiace ma stavolta dovrai usare il dizionario...

Leggerti รจ come starti accanto, tra le lacrime o le risate.

Thank you for being just the way you are, my dear.

Phi

10:31 AM  
Blogger Trudy Booty Scooty said...

awwwwww

you brought tears to my eyes
(sigh)


I'm glad you have him living in your heart...

I can hear all of My Fair Lady in my head right now...

2:37 PM  
Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

i saw your post over at ScrappyRose and was a bit curious, all fabric arts interest me.

Anyway, you tweeked my memory, but i can't remember if it was in London (as a very little girl) or in New York (older) that i first saw the live musical My Fair Lady, and your comment reminded me that whenever my older sister and i get together we have our own song and dance while her husband plays the entire score on the piano. i look forward to more postings and/or possible "chats".
cheers for now,
pj

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home