Sunday, March 12, 2006

TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALL GAME


I went to a Spring Training game at Ed Smith Stadium in Sarasota on Thursday.

Cincinnati Reds/Yankees.

Reds won 5 to 4 thanks to two doubles in the bottom of the 9th.

I HATE THE YANKEES!

The best part of the game was a guy walking around wearing a tee shirt that said on the front:

THE YANKEES SUCK!

On the back:

A-ROD SWALLOWS!

Now....
Don't all you richest fans in baseball, buy the world series, get your tight fitting baseball pants in an uproar.
I'm a NATIONAL LEAGUE fan.
I say, if you are a pitcher and you can't bat, you know, like standing in the batters box and swinging..GET OFF THE FIELD.
DH.....PAAAALEEEZZZE!

The Butler introduced me to baseball in the early 80's.
To say he was/is a rabid fan would so understate.

Watching the METS on tv one sunny spring day, ('84, I think) I saw Keith Hernandez leap for a grounder down the first base line, CATCH the ball face in the dirt, tag first base with his toe and FROM HIS STOMACH, throw down to second to put the runner out. Totally Cool!


LET'S GO METS!

rQm Posted by Picasa

11 Comments:

Blogger sttropezbutler said...

Ah yes...the Boys of Summer will soon be back!

YIPPEE!

STB

10:36 AM  
Blogger nancy =) said...

oh rQm i am a HUGE yankee fan!!! a lifelong baseball NUT!! i love it love it love it...

oh that mets team in the mid 80's was the greatest ever...names like mookie wilson and lenny dykstra...dwight gooden and darryl strawberry were fresh rookie babies...and keith - hubba hubba!!

every year i say i'm going down to fla for spring training...i have friends that go every year without fail...i still haven't made it there tho...nest year, fer sure...

and by the way your mets are looking pretty spectacular this year...can't wait to see how things pan out...i LOVE pedro pitching...

love you madly rQm...

peace...

10:36 AM  
Blogger alan said...

Some people all are heart, whether they're turning a game winning play from the ground, or brightening my Sunday morning...like you!

Thank you!

alan

11:49 AM  
Blogger dondon009 said...

I love football, have a difficult time sitting through baseball...

None the less, its nice to know another "athletic supporter!"

11:55 AM  
Blogger Trudy Booty Scooty said...

I think it's pretty kewl that top players are playing in the World Baseball grouping. I'm thinking they probably don't get paid the big bucks...and they are doing it for the love of the game. But then....I may just be looking through my rose coloured glasses once again. :) Paying $150.00+ to take the family to a baseball game irks me. But taking them to a Broadway style play is more expensive than that....so I guess I should shuddup and take my lumps.

I enjoy the game....cept for the tobacco spitting. lol

3:46 PM  
Blogger I n g e r said...

I admit I'm just a series fan; baseball to me is memories of the sounds of the game on TV--me snoozing on the floor as a kid and Dad waking me up with shouts and cheers.

Happy Sunday!

xoxo Inger

4:09 PM  
Blogger Connie in FL said...

Our Granddad enjoyed baseball as well. I assume he was originally a KC Athletics fan.

When he moved to Ohio to live with us after Grandmother died, Dad took him to some Indian's games. Dad's brother had fabulous box seats right behind home plate. He loved going.

Maybe you got just a touch of that from him.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Phi said...

just this: where - are - you????

4:11 AM  
Blogger Phi said...

ok... I forgive you.. but don't make me worry about you again!!

I missed you!

((hugs))

10:27 AM  
Blogger nancy =) said...

yeah, where are ya, pal?!?!?

i miss you too!!

peace...

11:34 PM  
Blogger Trudy Booty Scooty said...

knock knock knock

Anyone home?? :) Just checkin in.

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home