Saturday, March 04, 2006

A RECIPE FOR DISASTER

Making quiche?

Do not, repeat NOT, over fill the pie shell.

I make quiche with whatever I've got on hand. Sometimes with meat or fish, different cheeses, only veggies, only cheese and eggs. This time since I was seeing an Italian Opera, I put in red and green. Get it, the Italian flag. What I don't make up is the crust. I never could roll a pie crust, EVER. But now rolling is moot. Those delightful folks at Pillsbury have made the crusts, rolled them up, put two in a box. Two snaps up for them.

For this pie shell...
Eight eggs, (two too many).
Cup and half shredded cheddar, (half cup too much).
Half cup gorgonzola, crumbled.
One tablespoon flour.
Two cups half and half, (half cup too much).
Two large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, (one too many).
One cup frozen peas.
One baseball size onion, finely minced.
Three cloves garlic, finely minced.
Sweat onion, garlic over low heat twenty minutes.
Beat the eggs, add all other ingredients, pour into pie shell.
NO NOT OVERFILL!
Bake in pre-heated oven at 450 until a quarter bounces off the middle.
Oh no, that's bed making.
Bake until the top starts to color.
If the crust is getting too dark after 20 minutes or so, wrap the edge in foil.
No easy task that wrapping "thang" on a hot pie.
So....make the wrap the correct size before the pie goes in.

My pal Pat and I enjoyed this quiche at her house before we saw Le nozze di Figaro, at the Sarasota Opera. We also enjoyed a good bottle of Pinot Grigio, which I like almost as much as prosecco.

I could live on prosecco, cheese, tomatoes, focaccia, artichokes, peppers, tuna and pasta.

rQm Posted by Picasa

9 Comments:

Blogger sttropezbutler said...

It's all in the taste.....

Any you have such taste my dear!

STB

9:27 AM  
Blogger sttropezbutler said...

PS I didn't steal your title! Really...

STB

9:27 AM  
Blogger Connie in FL said...

Even-though I am allergic to eggs, I LOVE your recipe.

How lucky am I to have such a talented and witty cousin?

XOXO love you dear.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

mmmmmmmmmmmm...
perfect foods.
and drink.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Trudy Booty Scooty said...

OMG....that sounds fantastic...and easy!

Fantastic and easy....two great traits!

2:44 PM  
Blogger dondon009 said...

I love Quiche and although not your best of cooks, (I'm just learning crock pot 101) I have copied this and yes, I am going to try it.

.... and no, not in the crock pot!

Thanks!

8:21 PM  
Blogger nancy =) said...

darling, even your overflowed quiche turns out to be a work of art...the polka dots steer my gaze completely away from that burnt-on mess...

you are a genius =)

~ hugs

2:52 AM  
Blogger alan said...

Something else I'm going to have to learn to make...thank you for sharing and inspiring!

alan

12:41 PM  
Blogger Phi said...

my my, this is really my cup of tea!! Food, opera, italian flag...

I'm at work now but I'd kill for a piece of that quiche!!!
don't worry about overfilling, next time round you'll make a perfect one. You're so talented that I won't be surprised if your next quiche will be a log-cabin combination of colours and tastes...

delicious delicious post. From a delicious host.

^__^

6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home