Monday, July 25, 2005

TRACY

The question today at The Big Question was, who would you bring back from the dead and why. My answer: Tracy so all the folks out here in cyber space could meet her.
1974 NYC
I lived at Westbeth Artists Housing.
My friend Lee (who couldn't decide if she wanted to be James Dean or Gertrude Stein) also lived there and said, remember I told you my girlfriend from 17 years ago moved back to town??? Well....she is gonna be the new receptionist in the managers office and you can't let anyone know you know about her, she is there to see if she can find out if someone,the manager, is taking cash to put peoples name at the top of the list for vacancies, which we (the board) are sure she is doing.
Well okay but...
I had passed the office earlier in the day and had seen this gorgeous, elegant woman sitting behind the desk and thought to myself, how did they ever get someone like THAT to take that job, I gotta meet her.
I didn't want to queer the spy thing, but come on, this woman had a glow.
I went to my loft and baked a batch of brownies with dark chocolate. When they were cool and I was sure the manager (whose last name was Gross, and she was) had left for the day I put 4, 4x4 brownies in a brown paper lunch bag with a note that said, I'm not supposed to talk to you, this is just a little welcome to the neighborhood, this is my phone number.
When I got to my loft my phone was ringing.
Hello.
With her hand covering the mouthpiece she whispered, meet me at the corner of Washington and Christopher in half an hour, I'll be the one carrying the brown paper bag with chocolate on my face, and hung up without a goodbye.
On the corner her first words were, anyone who cooks with dark chocolate knows the way to my heart.
We never looked back.

8 Comments:

Blogger Connie in FL said...

And so we will meet Tracy through you and learn to love her also.

A perfect friend. She lives on in your heart and the love grows still. Tears of joy, love.
How I wish I had met her in person.

More Tracy stories please. They are delightful and so are you.

7:41 PM  
Blogger sttropezbutler said...

I couldn't agree more Connie Jane....

More More More.....

She was an amazing, wonderful person.

And so are YOU!

STB

9:52 PM  
Blogger Blogzie said...

This could be the start of something big.

What a wonderful beginning to what sounds like a fabulous friendship.

1:45 AM  
Blogger Sublime said...

Proves you never know how something (even as simple as the day's question) will effect another person.

That is a wonderful start to what I'm sure was a fabulous friendship. It sounds like the first page in a great novel. Love to hear how the story continued when you feel up to sharing it.

Take care,
Sublime

4:42 PM  
Blogger RED QUILT MAKER said...

The answer to your question MadGay is, she died.
DAMN!

6:43 PM  
Blogger nancy =) said...

i read your comment at the big question, and that led me here...i thought your story about the john waters book was amazing...but this one is even more so...you sound like an amazing human who has done extroidinary things with their life...hope you don't mind if i check in here every now and then...your stories are incredible...peace...

9:19 PM  
Blogger Sublime said...

Where have you wondered off to?

2:37 PM  
Blogger CrackerLilo said...

Maybe Madgay wondered how she died...?

Well, this is a beautiful story. Utterly beautiful. I'm so sorry you lost her, but so glad you had her. Thank you for sharing this.

:'-)

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home