Monday, July 18, 2005

The Big Question over at Sublime's other blog today reminded me of this.
When I was 19 I had the good fortune to meet a friends grandmother, Mary Goetze. We would go to her house for lunch or tea or dinner and everytime she would ask us, what are you reading. Both Melissa and I would shrug, stammer, ah, ah, because we didn't read anything. Did you pick up a newspaper, magazine, tv guide? What is the last book you read, either of you? Me, well I did a book report on Anna And The King Of Siam. (Which was a half truth. What I did was a review of the movie The King And I.)
Reading will set you free she would say again and again. Reading will lead you places. Reading will inspire you. If you read, you can learn to think for yourself.
Mary called me at work one morning and said, I'm coming to take you to lunch today. On the way to lunch she wanted to stop in a bookstore. When we got inside she said, pick a book, any book, I will buy it for you. After you've read it, we'll have dinner and talk about it. I wanted Capote's, In Cold Blood. The crime had occured not far from KCMO where I lived and had been all anyone talked about for months. What a good choice she said. here's one reason why. Capote's style here is different from any of his other writing. It is called reportage.
I really liked Mary so I was going along to humor her, ah youth.
I read In Cold Blood and was blown away. I got it. In that one read I understood.
We did discuss the book over dinner one evening a few days later. Mary led me, fed me. She told me about "southern american writers". She introduced me to Mann, James, Austin. Oh thank you, thank you Mary.
I am grateful to Mary everytime I pick up a book.

2 Comments:

Blogger sttropezbutler said...

And we are grateful that you remembered and honored Mary!

Reading is the best, and it is the way....and you know...f__k 'em if they can't take a joke!

Put that cell phone down and read a book!

10:30 PM  
Blogger Sublime said...

Hello!

Thanks for stopping by my blog "The Big Question" a few days ago and commenting. I post a new question every day so stop by again sometime if you get a chance.

I've enjoyed reading through your blog and LOVE that after posting on my blog, you came to yours and continued (and explained) the thoughts. That's truly what "The Big Question" is all about.

I want people to really think about things and how those things relate to themselves. I feel that we all do a whole lot of thinking about the "exterior" life around us and not so much about the "interior" life we lead. When in fact it's the inside of us that we have control over and usually needs the most work. After all, it's what's inside that makes and projects the outside world we live in. Maybe if we all gave a bit more thought to things the world would stand to benefit.

Take care,
Sublime

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home